Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Marty Sampson


Full disclosure, I've never heard of Marty Sampson, and am unaware of I've ever heard or played any of his music.   I also have no desire to turn this into a discussion of Hillsong Church or their music, I'm not saying those aren't valid topics, just that this isn't the place.

Apparently Marty  has decided that he's out on Christianity, and felt the need to share this in Instagram.   Again, I'm not interested in speculation on his salvation or lack thereof.  

What I'm interested in are his reasons.



"Time for some real talk... I'm genuinely losing my faith.. and it doesn't bother me... like, what bothers me now is nothing... I am so happy now, so at peace with the world.. it's crazy / this is a soapbox moment so here I go xx how many preachers fall?" Many. No one talks about it.
"How many miracles happen. Not many. No one talks about it. Why is the Bible full of contradictions? No one talks about it. How can God be love yet send 4 billion people to a place, all coz they don't believe? No one talks about it.
"I want genuine truth. Not the 'I just believe it' kind of truth. Science keeps piercing the truth of every religion," he writes.
"Lots of things help people change their lives, not just one version of God. Got so much more to say, but for me, I keeping it real.
"Unfollow if you want, I've never been about living my life for others. All I know is what's true to me right now, and Christianity just seems to me like another religion at this point."


What's interesting isn't the fact that he has questions and doubts.   Everyone has questions and doubts.

What's interesting to me is his refrain, "No one talks about it.".

I have to ask, what planet he's living on.

No one talks about;  pastors who fall, miracles, Bible contradictions, God's love and just nature, Truth, and science.  Really, "No one"?

Every one of these issues has been addressed, from all possible perspectives within the scope of what we consider christian, for hundreds of years.   Yet, he claims "No one" is talking about these things.

I could understand if he said, "I've spent years studying these things and after reading lots of different arguments I just don;t agree with any of them.".   I think it's absurd that someone honestly seeking answers would reject every single answer to these questions ever given, but it's possible.

I get that sometimes the answers aren't persuasive, but to deny the fact that the questions are aven being discussed, ridiculous.

I suspect many will be quick to point fingers at the more conservative folks and say, "See the Pharisees drove him away.", but let's be clear he couldn't find ANY voices in the christian spectrum that were even talking about these questions.   Remember what he said "No one talks about it.".


I respect and understand what it's like to have a crisis of faith.  I respect and understand doubt and feeling disconnected.  I sincerely hope that he finds the answers he's looking for and that those answers lead him to Jesus.   

But, right now, given what he's said, I suspect that the "No one is talking about it." is a smokescreen for something else.   

I really truly wish him the best in his search, and this isn't meant as trying to minimize or demean his questioning and searching for the Truth.  I'm just pointing out the reality that people of all sorts of theological stripes are talking about these things all the time.

If he wants to hear my miracle story, I'll be happy to talk to him as much as he wants.

3 comments:

Marshal Art said...

Sounds like he was never much of a Christian in the first place. What's he been doing? Was he ever really on a walk in the Faith? It doesn't seem so. He seems to be like one if those pastors that have led a congregation for years without even believing there truly is a God.

Craig said...

I’m not discounting that possibility. My point is that he’s just wrong when he says that “No one is talking about it.” is a rational reason.

Marshal Art said...

No doubt. As you say, on almost every issue (if not indeed ALL of them), folks have been talking about them ad nauseum for quite some time. It seems he's been a fake for quite some time as well, and perhaps is simply tired of trying to keep up appearances in order to maintain his standard of living. I think many of these people who "leave the faith" have done only because they've cashed in already to the point where they feel they can do so without sacrifice.