Saturday, July 25, 2015

Gossip, Slander, and Lies

Disclaimer:   This is going to be a bit strange because of the limitations of Dan's ability to comment here due to his refusal to answer certain specific questions in a post a while back.

Dan has been on a bit of a rampage lately because of a post Stan wrote about fairness.   Dan (is essence) doesn't think that God's view of what is fair and just should be different from Dan's opinion.   At several points over a couple of threads Dan pulls out his standard complaint that people are engaging in "gossip" "slander" and "lies" when they express opinions about the views he spouts.    The problem is that he doesn't seem to have a problem is wrongly characterizing the opinions of others in such a way that he can attack people for not responding to his false characterization of their position, rather than their actual position.    What I'm going to do is to copy/paste comments Dan has made that are either false, unsupported, or flat out lies. 

"I do tend to answer questions, unlike you guys."

Given Dan's a priori refusal to answer the specific list of questions that got his commenting privileges restricted, it's safe to say that in my opinion (based on specific interactions with him) this is just a self serving lie.

"Your position (that god is a monster who would condemn someone to eternal torture for one minor sin - and thus, you slander God by saying God is neither just nor perfect, but childish and whimsical and immoral as hell) is not one that can be defended rationally."

 "So, when reasonable questions arise from your insane sounding argument, you absolutely CAN NOT defend your position or answer the questions because, well, your position is insane and immoral. So, I would run and hide and refuse to answer questions, too, if I were called on such a crazy arguments."

These three are from a comment at Stan's.  The problem with the two above, is that they do not in any way resemble a position that has been taken, and cannot be supported.

 "You are using "justice" in a non-standard English way."

This is a common complaint, that is unsupported.   It also presumes (and we know Dan won't defend his presumptions, or at least hasn't so far)

"2. That because God is perfectly just, the reasoning goes, God can not "abide" or put up with ANY sin.
3. So, because God is SO "just," even one little lie is sufficient cause for God to send a person to an eternal torment and torture, as a matter of "justice..."

Neither of these is an accurate representation of either that position of anyone with whom Dan has actually conversed, nor do they represent Orthodox Christian theology or doctrine.

 "Part of the notion of justice includes proportionate punishment for sins/mistakes/crimes."

This is interesting because no one is denying the concept of proportionate justice.  What is being said is that sin is an active rebellion against the God who created and rules the universe and to try to minimize that willful rebellious aspect of sin by writing it off as a "mistake" is in itself seriously out of proportion.

 "So, while human beings are all sinful or imperfect in nature, do most of us do something so monstrous in our life as to merit an eternity in torment as an equitable "just" punishment?"

Again, this is a (willful) distortion of the Orthodox Christian position, as well as of the position in the post that started all of this.

 "Or, consider that we have been created imperfect by God (for those who believe we are created by God...) Is it rational or just that God creates us imperfect and then demands that we be perfect or else we'll be punished with eternal torment for being imperfect, as God made us!?"

I'm not even going to deal with the seeming denial of God as creator.   But, this is a complete (intentional?)  distortion of the Orthodox Christian position as well as the position of anyone who has interacted with Dan.

"God becomes whimsical, monstrous, unjust, uncaring... not the God most believers think of as a loving God."

As to the first sentence, no one is or has suggested that, as to the second I wasn't aware that God's nature is defined by how humans think of Him.

 "I would ask Stan or others who have made these sorts of statements:..."

There is a claim that "Stan or others" have made specific statements which correlate with the claims Dan has made about those alleged statements.   Of course, those specific statements are not quoted or referenced in any way that would allow someone to check the accuracy of Dans characterizations of the alleged statements.   So, Dan has attributed a lot of "statements" to "Stan and others" without actually proving the existence of the statements.

 "Every human is grossly immoral and JUSTLY deserving of eternal torture."

One more that can't be supported



I think that I have demonstrated a fairly consistent pattern with the above quotes and see no reason to add more of the same.

I am quite sure that there will be cries that it is not fair for me to post this about Dan without allowing him to respond.   I will respond by saying the following.

1.  Dan is well aware of what he needs to do in order to regain his commenting priveledges.
2.  Once Dan does what has been asked of him he will get those privileges back
3.  If Dan can provide specific documented (quote with a link for context) instance where any of his characterizations are correct, I will allow the comment to stand, edit the original post to remove my comment, and apologize for my error.

28 comments:

Dan Trabue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dan Trabue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Craig said...

"I absolutely 100% TEND TO answer questions, Craig. It is completely factual in the real world, demonstrably so."

You're point is that you "absolutely 100% tend to" (leaving aside the the fact that the term "tend to" nullifies the "absolutely 100%), answer questions, except when you choose not to.

Which is, of course, my point. You are incredibly selective about when, where, and how you answer questions. But thank you for being so honest about confirming my suspicion.

But, as I quite clearly repeated, unless you can provide sourced proof that your quoted statements are true you are still limited in your commenting privileges.

Craig said...

"Truth in advertising!"

Yes, you are correct that each and every one of your quotes appears to fall within the categories I listed in my title.

Dan Trabue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Craig said...

Dan,

Your continued self serving excuses are getting tiresome. I can say with a high degree of certainty that you've never answered anywhere near 95% of the questions I've asked you. So, if it helps you to ignore the preponderance of this post and focus on one thing, that's ok. It won't stop you from getting your comments deleted.

"... that is directly and demonstrably false witness."

Then it should be no problem for you to demonstrate the falseness of my comment. So, by all means please demonstrate away. I stand ready to be demonstrated to be wrong,

Again, all I have done is quoted your own words. You have made the claims I quoted, and you should be willing to back up your claims with evidence. Instead you are just trotting out the same old "they're slandering me" crap that got old years ago.

I've been clear. Demonstrate that your quotes accurately represent reality, demonstrate your amazing track record of answering questions.

Oh, and knock of the pious sanctimony.

Dan Trabue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Craig said...

You telling me is not proof, its just more of your self serving crap. The problem you have is that you can't provide the proof of your claims so you just try to move the focus away from your failures...

You claimed your 95% number was demonstrable, so demonstrate.

Dan Trabue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dan Trabue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Craig said...

So, now you are admitting that you can't demonstrate what you claimed was demonstrable, that's a start. To be clear, I expressed an opinion, I did not make a charge. You on the other hand made a specific claim (95% of questions answered), yet you can't provide evidence for your specific claim. Interesting twist of reality.

Craig said...

Dan, if my experience with you was that you forthrightly quickly and completely answered questions, I wouldn't have the opinion that I have. Unfortunately my experience informs my opinion on this, and I'm not alone.

It's interesting that the focus of my post is your misrepresentation of the positions of others, and you choose to attack me for an opinion instead of to take me up on proving that your version of peoples position are correct. I guess that just means that you are unable to do so and are conceding that you have falsely characterized others positions.

Craig said...

Do you really think it is in proportion to "damn" me (which usually means to hell), because I hold a different opinion than you?

Dan Trabue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Craig said...

Dan,

Why do you think that it is profitable for you to continue to write comments that will get deleted? Do you think I'll suddenly change my mind and allow you free reign? Why are you so insistent on trying to control the conversation?

If you want to waste your time, I guess it's fine with me. It just seems like it would be easier to play by the rules and move things along. I guess it's just easier for you to ignore the entire post of your false quotes while you whine about an opinion I expressed.

"No, it IS ENTIRELY demonstrable to prove as a point of fact that I, in fact, answer questions the vast majority of the time."

Great, then demonstrate it. Sorry to rain on your parade, but you clearly changed from "demonstrable" to theoretically demonstrable, now its "ENTIRELY demonstrable". OK, You have made this claim, so demonstrate that your claim is accurate. Or, you can quit bitching about my opinion and deal with your false representations of others opinion.

As for the false witness crap, I expressed an opinion, get the hell over it. If you spent as much time demonstrating the accuracy of your claims and answering the questions you refused to answer as you do attacking me over an opinion, you'd have free reign to comment here.

But you choose a different path.

Dan Trabue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dan Trabue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Craig said...

Dan,

What false charge have I made? I merely pointed out that in my opinion, based of your a priori refusal to answer specific questions, that your claim was more than likely false. How can an expression of opinion be a "false charge". Of course all of you whining about a "false charge" looks strange responding to a post where I point out a number of false claims you have made about others. It's like you think that pointing out an opinion of mine that you disagree with and trying to make it something it's not will distract from your trail of false charges documented in the post. The fact remains, I stated an opinion based on a specific recent encounter with you. You made a claim of fact, which you cannot support.

Craig said...


"This makes me wonder what you think of me..."

I've been pretty clear what I think about you, had you read the entire post you would know. You have posted (quoted in my post) a number of statements which you attribute to other people. The quoted statements are at best mistakes, at worst intentionally falsifying others positions. I lean toward the latter, given the lengthy history.

I further think that you have consistently and systematically engaged in a pattern where you ask questions, demand answers, ask the same questions multiple times, demand the answers you want, and refuse to answer or dodge questions asked of you. At some point in the process you resort to name calling and charges of "slander", "gossip" and "lying".

I further think that you have no problem demanding that others to meet standards of proof that you are unwilling to hold yourself to.

I think that I have listed a number of quotes from you that demonstrate you falsely characterizing others opinions in order to try to score cheap rhetorical points. Instead of demonstrating that you are not falsely characterizing others positions, you choose to focus on a statement of my opinion, even going so far as to falsely characterize my opinion.

So, if you think it's helpful to make a false charge about me making a false charge, I guess I can't stop you.

But as to the " for fun, to learn about what other people think, to challenge what other people think, to agree with others (sometimes), to express another viewpoint,..." crap, save it. If you were serious about engaging others in a respectful manner you wouldn't start that conversation by labeling your (false) characterization of their views "insane".

So, if you can't do what I asked in the original post, I don;t know what to tell you. But continuing to whine about me expressing an opinion (based on a factual occurrence), really doesn't do anything but continue to raise that irony level.

Dan Trabue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dan Trabue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dan Trabue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Craig said...

The fact that you have gotten more worked up over my expressing my opinion than you are about selling human body parts.

Dan Trabue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dan Trabue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dan Trabue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Craig said...

Dan,

I'm not sure why I can't delete your off topic inane comments, but I'm sure I will be able to at some point. If you would like to comment on topic and within the parameters established, feel free, if not that keep trying to draw attention from your false statements.

Craig said...

Dan,

In regards to your last off topic comment, I may explore it somewhere are some point, but what we share (at most) is some words. You use the words, but you manage to twist them just slightly in much the same way as to the LDS and the JW's.

For example, you use the term "Creator" in relationship to God. What does it mean that God is a creator? Does it mean the God created Ex Nihilo? Did God create using natural selection? I could go on, but I think that should suffice.