Friday, February 19, 2016

Trump

" If Trump were the GOP nominee, would you vote for him, the Dem or a third party or other option?"



At this point the simple answer is that I just don't know.   While I initially supported the idea of  someone like Trump running, the reality of the Trump campaign is that I just can't get behind him.  There are some general things that he says that I agree with, and the fact that he isn't is politically correct as most politicians.   Right now my two biggest problems with Trump are, 1.  He is promising to do things that he any rational person knows that he cannot accomplish.  2.  I don't think Trump knows how to operate in a situation where he doesn't have the final word.

My personal preference would be that we will see the non viable candidates drop out soon enough that their supporters can coalesce around either Cruz or Rubio so that Trump will start losing primaries.   I think that the longer the non viable candidates hang around the harder it will be to stop Trump from building up a significant delegate lead.   (Obviously a Trump loss in SC tomorrow would change things somewhat)

But, what happens if Trump gets the GOP nod?    There is absolutely no possible circumstance where I could see voting for Hilary or Bernie.    Hilary has so many ethical problems that I really can't understand how anyone could actively support her.  I realize that the dems have rigged the primary process so as to make it incredibly difficult for anyone to beat her, and that there will be plenty of people who will vote for her no matter what and a bunch more people who will vote for any (liberal) woman simply because she's a woman.   My problem with Bernie is much the same as with Trump, although I believe that Bernie truly believes that his positions are the best possible solutions to our country's ills, there is virtually no possible way that anything he proposes would actually be enacted.   I believe that a Sanders presidency would be potentially the least effective presidency in the history of the United States.    Maybe that wouldn't be that bad now that I think about  it.  

As far as a third party, I have mixed feelings.   Generally a vote for a third party candidate is a wasted vote.  Coupling that with Bloomberg is the only potential third party candidate on the horizon would make a me leery of even considering a third party candidate at this point.

So, that's a really long way of saying that it's too early to make any hard and fast commitments in this presidential election season.

No comments: