Sunday, June 4, 2017

9b

"We don’t like how the world is telling us to live, but we never hear from our church either."

I'm thrilled that he's tired of trying to conform to the world and wants the Church (as well as older people) to speak Truth, there are plenty of Biblical references to this sort of inter-generational teaching.mentoring going on and I  think it should be a priority.

But in all seriousness, I'd be willing to bet that there are a multitude of churches tackling these and other "controversial" subjects all across the country.

But even if he can't find something existing, what would stop him from pursuing something?  One of my issues from the beginning is the sense of "We want someone (the Church to do all these things for us.", rather than a sense of pushing and showing initiative.  I guess the piece could count for something, but it seems like such a broad and general (and poorly researched) piece that I'm not sure it's going to do very much.   (I'm sending it to the folks at our church who are working on this so at least it'll get in front of someone)

Solutions:
  • Create real and relevant space for young adults to learn, grow and be vulnerable.
  • Create an opportunity for young adults to find and connect with mentors.
  • Create a young adults program that transitions high school youth through late adulthood rather than abandoning them in their time of greatest need.
  • Intentionally train young adults in how to live a godly life instead of leaving them to fend for themselves.
The first two solutions are so inoffensive and non controversial that I completely agree that both of those things should (I would argue already are) happen.

The third one is exactly what out church is engaged in right now.  Working with a seminary and multiple other churches to try to figure out what this looks like.  Having said that, I find in interesting/contradictory that the same guy who lambasts institutions and "the church" is now advocating for a church based institutional solution.   I'd also point out that the entire premise of the piece is that milennials are abandoning "the Church", which somewhat contradicts his point here.  Having said that, he should be heartened to know that what he wants to happen is actually happening.

This last one, blows me away.   This is so absolutely counter to current culture that I'm actually impressed.  To be willing to swim against the tide of both culture and much of the mainline church is quite a task and it encourages me to see this kind of desire.

Again, the millennials need to get a handle of the existence of Truth, but if they do, and if they commit to this sort of radical counter cultural lifestyle that would be impressive.

No comments: