Saturday, July 21, 2018

I've failed.

When I left for vacation last week, my intention was to avoid commenting or interacting with anything said on any of the blogs I follow.  Primarily because I was unaware that I would have as much internet access as I do.

However, there were two comments made in the verbal srcum that is the recent thread at Dan's that I couldn't resist.  I'm doing this here for a couple of reasons.  Mostly because adding another voice to a long and meandering thread didn't seem helpful, also because having more internet than I thought I'd have doesn't translate into having the same coverage I'd have at home.

If you want the context, go to Dan's.

"Can you at least understand how a person of good faith and great love for the Bible might reach that conclusion?"

Yes, I can understand how that could, happen.

The counter question is.  Dan, can you understand how a person of good faith and great love for the Bible could reach a conclusion other than the one you have?   Or put another way.  Are you willing to grant those who disagree with you the same level of understanding and courtesy you ask from them?

  "I'm just noting the reality that God is not an intervener God's own Self."

To this is simply say bullshit.

I've got a 22 year old son who wouldn't be out riding an ATV up the side of a 14,000 foot mountain with his mother, if "God wasn't an intervener".

So, with all respect, bullshit.

You came responding, but not answering the claim, and did so in a rude and non-humble manner.”

“See the difference? A bit of humility will take you a long way in life, sir.”


It’s always amusing when someone points out their own flaws in others.  




Note:

Feo, I know your obsessed with commenting here without having done what you've been asked to do (detailed, specific plan with definitions of terms),  that restriction still stands.   



9 comments:

Marshal Art said...

Regarding Dan's first quote, he is defining "reasonable" and "people of good faith and geat love for the Bible" as those who think like him. Thus, he necessarily denies that those who don't...more specifically, those like, say, me...aren't either for accepting the stories are indeed accurate reports of historical events.

Dan Trabue said...

Well, seeing as how I used to hold those positions - and did so in good faith - yes, of course I can recognize that those who disagree can do be doing so in good faith. Never suggested otherwise.

Dan Trabue said...

On the second point you are certainly welcome to your opinion. Just to be clear what I'm saying is I see no evidence that God physically steps in and intervenes. God does not appear in human form and pulled a drowning man out of the ocean and plasm to safety and set some on the ground. God does not and stop a bus from going off a cliff. That sort of thing. I see no evidence of that happening.

Dan Trabue said...

The key explanation I offered is here:

"Now, as to actively intervening, it just appears to be a reality, from all that we see, that God, as a rule just doesn't intervene in this world. God doesn't stop the school bus from sliding off a cliff or stop a disease that has attacked our bodies."

I'm curious, do you have evidence that actively physically step in in these sorts of situations?

Acting on the hearts of people? Sure. Acting via the hands and bodies of others? Sure.

Just not appearing and catching a worker who fell off the roof of a house. God does not do that, by any evidence I've seen.

Do you think what I've actually SAID is bullshit, or did you misunderstand my point? Or do you have evidence of God physically stepping in? I'd be interested in knowing.

Craig said...

As specifically constructed, Dan’s hypothetical leaves room for the conclusion that he posits. Clearly this is so, because people reach that conclusion. The question remains, will he allow other conclusions the same grace and acceptance as his?

Dan Trabue said...

I answered. Did you not see it? Clearly since I come from that background and held that position in good faith, of course I think people can hold that position in good faith.

Marshal Art said...

I noticed the update to your post. I also noticed the same irony.

Craig said...

I think your blanket statement that God doesn’t (never) intervenes is bullshit.

I see the results of His direct intervention every single day.

Craig said...

“so, why WOULD I take these passages literally?
They can't be taken literally, as they are self contradicted by
the rest of the Bible and
by morality and
by reason and common sense."


That doesn’t sound like your holding others to the same standard you have for yourself.