Monday, October 31, 2016

A Notice

A few years ago, I asked several of my African American friends what their preference was when referring to people on their race.  Their answer was "black".  So, I kind of decided that "black" was an appropriate way to refer to people of that racial group.  

As of now, I have decided that the term "black", is not the best option.  I've come to realize that the Muslim immigrant family from East Africa, and the family from the worst urban neighborhood in town share very little besides similar skin color.  

Given that fact, I will begin to refer to black people born in the United States as "African Americans".  I am less sure how I will refer to the first and second generation African immigrants.  Given that there are significant differences between Somali and Ethiopian immigrants I'm just not sure what makes sense.  What I will probably do is to use the term "East African" (or something similar) when I am talking about something where there is no real distinction between the various societies of origin.   However, if I am referring to something specific I will most likely use either Somali or Ethiopian.  

One final thought.  clearly any of these people who have become citizens should be referred to primarily as Americans, yet there are many who are not citizens or are not yet citizens.  Given that, I believe that accuracy is best served by making the distinctions between these groups, and not lumping them together based on something as superficial as skin color.

2 comments:

Marshal Art said...

I would say that on issues that relate specifically to a demographic based on land of origin, their national designation would be appropriate (Somali, Ethiopian, French...whatever), but if the issue relates to people of a given race, "black" is appropriate.

Just sayin'.

Craig said...

In some cases I would agree, but not as often as some might think. In the case of our community we have at least three distinct cultures who all share a similar skin color. Yet each has its own distinctives which make referring to all three as "black" problematic.

In any case I feel that accuracy and respect dictate my new terminology.