Saturday, September 28, 2019

I just saw something on FB that talked about how various statistics are reported affect perception.

For example we quantify how many women were raped, not how many men tape women.
We talk about how many women or girls were harassed, not how many men or boys did the harassing.
We talk about how many women got pregnant, not how many men impregnated them.   Personally I think this isn’t in the same category as the others, but I understand the point.

I agree that we need to talk about both sides of those statistics, that it’s important to know how many men are responsible for these behaviors.

My thought/question regards what conclusions we draw from those statistics.

Let’s say that 100 women were raped, yet there were only 30 rapists.    Does that change the narrative?    I suspect that it’s not a 1:1 ratio.   That the men who engage in these horrible behaviors (rose and harassment anyway) probably assault multiple women and that pointing that out might actually minimize the effect of pointing out total tapes/assaults.

I suspect the problem with ascertaining the accurate numbers sought is that there are likely a number of rapes/assaults where the perpetrator goes unidentified.  

I agree with not using the stats to make women seem passive, but I don’t think you want people focused on the (possibly) smaller number of perpetrators to the exclusion of the larger number of victims.



No comments: