Friday, September 20, 2019

The Iron Range

i saw a CNN story whet they sent a reporter up to the iron range expecting that the DFL stronghold would give them all sorts of great anti Trump material.    Yet, it didn’t work as well as they thought.   I guess the problem is that people aren’t likely to vote for a party that wants to eliminate the industry they’ve been employed in for years, as opposed to a party that doesn’t want to eliminate their jobs.

I’ve thought for a few years that the DFL has abandoned the blue collar, union members who have unquestioningly voted DFL for decades, to curry favor with more fringe elements of the left.  

What I’m wondering is if this shift to the left might inadvertently re elect Trump.    What if the rhetoric and positions of the left aren’t as broadly appealing as they think?   What if gaining the votes of the environmentalists, loses the votes of the blue collar union types?  

I learned in 2016 not to predict elections, but I’m looking forward to seeing how 2020 plays out.   I really think that it’s possible that what we’re seeing on the DFL debate stages just might sway enough people like me, as well as enough undecided voters away from the DFL and towards the GOP/Trump.

As always, time will tell.

No comments: