Saturday, August 13, 2022

Medical Experts

I just scheduled an appointment with my primary medical expert. One thing that I can guarantee that will be discussed at the appointment is that he's going to tell me that I'm "overweight", or something similar. He's going to point out how my losing weight will make several of my medical issues less severe. I'll (hopefully) be able to point out that I weigh less than my last appointment, and that my exercise and changes in diet are moving me in the right direction. Of course he's right, I know he's right, and I know what I should be doing more of or less of in order to achieve the desired results. In all honesty, it doesn't take a "medical expert" to figure out that (up to a point) carrying around less weight is healthier than carrying around more weight. That more exercise is better than less exercise. None of this requires an MD or even a PA, LPN, RN or other degree to figure out. Yet for some reason I frequently see links to stories about some woman who's a size 18, or 20 or whatever who's chosen to embrace her "curvyness" and there's no shortage of people who'll jump on the "body positivity" bandwagon and cheer her on. Look at someone like Lizzo. She's a reasonabley talented singer and entertainer who (if assessed by a medical expert) would be classified as obese or morbidly obese. I suspect her BMI is far beyond what medical professionals would consider healthy. Yet, she's held up as an example of "body positivity" and people act as if she's an example of a healthy female human being. I guess I'm curions about how far this on=bsession with "Science" and "medical experts" that we've seen over the last few years really goes. I'm wondering how "body positivity" has somehow managed to trump science and medical expertise. To be clear, I'm not suggesting that people who want to be "curvy" or obese, or morbidly obese be prevented from doing so. I'm merely suggesting that pretending that a lifestyle that appears to be the antithesis of healthy be normalized as healthy.

8 comments:

Marshal Art said...

The "body positivity" angle is a lie, of course. No fat chick should feel good about herself for being fat. It's a whole different matter to feel good about one's self despite one's fatness, but this is about feeling good about one's self because of it in order to appease one's laziness in doing what it takes to be healthier and as a means to demand that one's obesity should not be held against one when it comes to relationships...i.e., not finding a date because one can't find someone into fat chicks (or dudes).

Marshal Art said...

Oh...I also meant to mention: Fat people are "historically oppressed", but its another case of that oppression being self-inflicted due to their acceptance or tolerance for their own weight issues. Certainly, many struggle with weight, but that struggle can be won if one wants to badly enough. I'm dealing with a bit of it myself (down 22 lbs), so it's not like I don't know what fat people go through. No one should be abused for it, but a little shaming goes a long way if there's a sincere care about the health of the fat person.

Craig said...

"No fat chick should feel good about herself for being fat."

This should read "No fat person should feel good about themselves for being fat.". Although you rarely hear any of the body positivity crap applied to guys.

Having said that I agree that popular culture should not be celebrating people like Lizzo, or Ashley Graham for their unhealthy lifestyle. Celebrate them for their talents, and achievements, not for their "curves".

You do bring up an interesting point. Clearly fat people have been "oppressed", if you define "oppressed" as bullied, ridiculed, tormented, and such. The problem is I've seen people who simply point out that a woman who's 5'10 and weighs 300 pounds isn't healthy accused of "oppression" etc. The FDA who the APL mostly love puts out guidelines for healthy height/weight or BMI ratios. It's allegedly based in The Science that the APL seems to worship when it's convenient.

As I pointed out, I know that I could work harder to lose more weight. I know that I could make lifestyle changes that would make me healthier. I'm not stupid enough to think that I could try to tell people that I'm healthy.

Like many things, people point out unhealthy lifestyle choices because they want you to be healthy. If you're an entertainer, it's because people want you to do what you do longer and not die young.

It's pretty ironic that the same MSM who touts body positivity, runs unfaltering pictures of celebrities when they gain weight, and celebrates celebrities who lose weight. It makes perfect sense when they contradict themselves like that, right?

Craig said...

I think it's important to point out that I'm not advocating that we "shame" fat people, or forcibly prevent them from living life as the please.

I am saying that we shouldn't lie to them, we shouldn't pretend that they're healthy, we shouldn't encourage them (us).

I'm also not denying that there are some genetic freaks out there who are morbidly obese, yet have perfect BP, no diabetes, no Cholesterol issues, and no spine or joint issues, because of their weight. I'm just saying that we don't set the standards for society based on the .oooooo1% of society that is the exception.

Finally, I'll point out that virtually every football players knows that to succeed in many positions on a football team, that they have to carry an "unhealthy" amount of weight. Yet they choose to do so for a limited amount of time, with plenty of medical/nutritional supervision, and for a specific purpose. They also (for the most part) immediately drop significant weight the minute their football careers end. Of course we don't praise a 350 pound offensive lineman because he's "curvy" we praise him because he works hard and is good at what he does.

Marshal Art said...

There's a place for shame in our culture and I think it needs to be re-established. More who express that others should be ashamed will have an effect. If the change shame provokes is beneficial, then shaming is, too. And it can work. We have evidence. Look at how many people fear being called "racist", or more stupidly, "homophobic". The former has stifled legit discussions regarding the state of certain populations of a specific race ("you're not Pawnee. You're a racist for daring to point out why the Pawnee has the problems they do!") The latter has compelled good people to refrain from standing in the light and criticizing the immorality and disorder of an immoral and disordered behavior.

While I believe shame directed at bad or immoral behaviors is beneficial, it would take a majority to have the same effect as shaming people as described above has done, but well worth the effort for the sake of future generations, if not our own.

Craig said...

I agree that shame can be a positive thing in some cases, and that totally banishing the concept is an overreaction, especially when shame leads to improvement.

My point is that the whole notion of "shame" as an evil oppressive concept is problematic and that I'm kind of pointing out that the current usage of the word isn't helpful/

Marshal Art said...

""shame" as an evil oppressive concept"

Do you mean shaming itself is portrayed as an evil oppressive concept, or who is being shamed is an evil oppressive concept (or who is doing the shaming)?

Craig said...

I would suggest that while shame can be used in "evil oppressive" ways, that shame in and if it;self is not intrinsically evil or oppressive. I'm suggesting that the people who insist that all shame is evil and oppressive are actually trying to use shame in an evil and oppressive way.

Shame can be used for good things or bad things.