Monday, December 9, 2019

The namesake of my blog

Every so often, I check in on the person my blog is named after.  Briefly, when I first started reading blogs, Mr Shuck was afraid to allow commenters on his blog who didn't have a blogger account.  So, I created one and ended up writing much more than I ever thought I would.

So, when I went to Mr. Shuck's blog today, I was greeted with his final sermon at the PCUSA church that has employed him most recently.  While light on details, it appears that he is being involuntarily separated from his position as "Minister of Word and Sacrament".   I have no idea what drove them to this point.  Clearly it was fine with them to employ someone who denied the existence of God, the divinity of Christ and virtually every other Christian doctrine.    Perhaps his apparent foray into Islam was the final straw.

As I read his final sermon, I was struck by how a self described atheist,   continues to cling to the terminology of the very thing he denies the existence of.   He talks of a "Reign of Divine Values", while denying the existence of The Divine.   He talks of prayer, while denying the existence of someone to pray to.  

It will be interesting to follow Shuck's descent further into apostasy, but I'm impressed that there is a line that a PCUSA church will hold fast to.









https://shuckandjive.blogspot.com/2019/11/final-sermon-at-southminster-reign-of.html

No comments: