Saturday, September 26, 2026

I Apologize

 https://www.facebook.com/share/p/1ErQL4EbzE/

" I’d like to apologize to Taylor Swift.

The other day she got excited at a football game, pointed at her ring, and said, “MY HUSBAND!” And I made a joke about it.
But the more I thought about it, what the hell am I making fun of?
Here’s a woman who has just about everything in the world, and she’s excited to tell everybody, “That’s my man.” Proud of him. Cheering him on. Happy to be his wife. More women should be that supportive—and more men should give them a reason to be.
We hear enough about how men are useless and marriage is a trap. Here’s somebody showing millions of women that loving a good man and being excited about marriage is something to celebrate. We ought to encourage that.
I went looking for a punchline and missed the point. Keep cheering, Taylor."
 
Without spending too much time on the Swift Kelce relationship, I do want to make a couple of points about how their relationship runs counter to a lot of the messaging we see in our culture today. 
 
1. Swift has spend her entire career writing songs about searching for the knight in shining armor who would sweep her off her feet and marry her. She finally got what he wanted. In a society where marriage is not highly valued and treated as an inconvenience.  They treated it as a goal. Even with the wedding, I think they went against the grain. Yes it was big and relatively extravagant, but it was also private. It wasn't an event intended to generate money from tabloids, or likes on social media. They banned phones for everyone, and made it as private as possible.  The fact that they just bought a home in Cleveland, and have said that they're primary residence will be in KC for the foreseeable future speaks volumes about their relationship.
 
2. In the MNF game Taylor's response to Travis making a big play was to point at her ring and say "That's my husband." As we watch coverage of other pro sports WAGs, this kind of thing isn't common. The fact that she has committed herself to engaging in her husband's career as someone who wasn't a football fan is kind of cool for someone with a massively successful career of her own.   Seeing her interact with the WAG's of the other players on the team sure makes it seem like she's trying to be one of them. 
 
The problem with comparing Swift the other NFL WAGs is that she is simply a bigger celebrity than any of them So, it's awesome that Simone Biles just sold a house in TX to move to CHI for her husband's career. But, as good as Biles was/is at her sport. she's not Swift.  
 
 

No comments: