Monday, September 21, 2026

Immigration Qustions

 I've written before about finding my grandfather's immigration paperwork after he died.   There were two questions that he had to answer which seem relevant today.   This was in the early 1900's and I'm paraphrasing the questions. 

1.  Are you a member of any organization  dedicated to the overthrow of the US?

2.  Are you a polygamist?  (Or that advocates or allows polygamy?)

If these questions are not on the current application, they should be.   I bet most of you can figure out why.  

2 comments:

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Such questions would be declared racist or xenophobic.

Craig said...

Only because they would screen out one group of people.

I'd be interested in knowing what anarchist-polygamous group they were trying to screen back in the early 1900's though.

In any case, both seem like reasonable questions and sound basis to remove those who lie about them.