Sunday, April 8, 2018

Book Recommendation

I don’t do this often, and rarely before I’ve finished, but I have to recommend a book I’ve been waiting for for a while.

Target Africa by Obianuju Ekeocha seems like another of these works (DeadbAid, When Helping Hurts) that should make the white, western world rethink our relationship with Africa.   Much of this probably applies in other post colonial areas, but this is written from an African perspective.   So far, it’s teally good.

I’m also recommending the Eric Metaxis biography of Martin Luther, it’s really well done.

Finally, I’m looking forward to the new biography of Larry Norman as well.

I’m open to other suggestions.



3 comments:

Marshal Art said...

Can you give a brief synopsis of what the Target Africa book is saying?

Craig said...

Her premise is that Africa is being re colonialized ideologically by the “European, white, liberal, elite” ( my term, not her’s. Paul Farmer derisively calls them WL’s) away from the historic attitudes about family, children, and religion.

I’m not far in, but it’s hard (not that twitter isn’t trying) to not give credibility to an intelligent, well educated Nigerian woman on this topic.

So far it’s really interesting.

Craig said...

I’ll elaborate more, but it’s essentially about the attempt to replace “It takes a village” (read extended family or tribe) to raise a child with “y’all need to adopt our enlightened ,first world, white, European, radical feminist views because we’ll give you money”.