Thursday, June 7, 2018

Momentum

I’m not usually big on getting deep thoughts from rock songs, but as I was listening to a playlist of bands a friend of mine has been connected with, I came across this.

“Been on a roll for two thousand years or so, we’ve got momentum baby.”

It made me think that Christianity started out small in the Middle East and Africa, them as it gathered momentum went through Rome to Western Europe and the Americas.   But, as we look down the road we see the momentum shifting back to Africa and Asia, and away from the west.  

I can’t help but think that this sense of momentum, of the center of gravity shifting isnt a big part of keeping the faith healthy and vital.   Especially given how Christianity tends to thrive under hardships and persecution, while power and plenty tend to undermine the vitality of the faith.

All things considered, I’m not unhappy to see the momentum shift, I think it will ultimately revitalize the faith in Western culture as the growth of secularism will separate the wheat from the chaff, and will test believers in ways that will force a choice between following God or following man.

No comments: