Monday, February 24, 2020

Vote Bernie

As I was researching what was said around the 2016 election, I came across something that I still believe to be true.

If Bernie wins the presidency, his lack of a constituency on either the house or senate is going to rob him of the ability to actually implement any of his signature schemes.   That assumes that his election doesn't cause a loss of DFL seats in congress as some on the left are predicting.

In either case, I suspect that he will be unable to get the degree of ideological purity he'd like in his schemes, which will result in more of the angry old man we've seen on the debate stages.

If his fellow DFLers are so against his programs, why would the GOP support them.

4 years of Bernie is likely 4 years of little to nothing substantial happening.  

I believe that, given the lax approach to voting, that I will be allowed to vote for either party in the upcoming primary.   I have to say that I'm leaning Klobuchar in the hopes that a win here will throw some drama into the process.  Or at least give the "Screw Bernie Again" DNC something to work with.


3 comments:

Marshal Art said...

Are you in a state that allows voting in either primary?

Craig said...

I’m in a state that lets you show up with a homeless guy to vouch in order to register.

Seriously, I’ll probably do something like this as long as I’m not locked into voting the same party in Nov.


Much like the NFL playoffs, there wasn’t any team on the horizon (maybe Baltimore) that I was particularly worried about. Obviously “any given Sunday” is a thing, but I felt good about our chances. After watching the debate the other night, I kind of feel like there’s nobody on the left that can beat Trump. That’s as non partisan as I can make it. I just don’t see gloom and doom winning when the economy is good.

But I balance that with the fact that Trump is a bad candidate, so who knows.

Craig said...

Update. It looks like the change in our primary (away from a caucus) might limit my ability to vote for a different party in the general than in the primary. Even if I wasn't considering doing it for grins, I did vote 3rd party for POTUS and GOP for congress. It would kind of suck if this limited the ability to vote a split ticket.