https://x.com/nancyrpearcey/status/2084706604918673609?s=51&t=cLq01Oy84YkmYPZ-URIMYw
" If humans are robots, how is it possible for them to make moral choices? Richard Dawkins seems to think robots can rebel: "In his influential book The Selfish Gene, Richard Dawkins asserts that “Like successful Chicago gangsters our genes have survived . . . in a highly competitive world, . . . [and so] a predominant quality to be expected in a successful gene is ruthless selfishness.” Therefore, “We are survival machines-robot vehicles programmed to preserve the selfish molecules known as genes.” One might expect from this creation story that Dawkins would repudiate all notions of morality or free will, but not so. Like a Calvinist preacher denouncing the wiles of Satan, he exhorts his readers to robot rebellion. “Let us try to teach generosity and altruism, because we are born selfish. Let us understand what our own selfish genes are up to, because we may then at least have the chance to upset their designs, something that no other species has ever aspired to.”"
It's crazy, but this is the guy who literally wrote the book on modern Darwinism.
2 comments:
So Dawkins believes we're born with a sin nature. That's something, I guess.
I’m not sure Dawkins would agree, but I see your point.
I think Dawkins would argue that the selfish gene is what makes Evolution work, and is therefore a positive in that sense. It’s why you see folx like him justifying rape as being an evolutionary benefit.
It does seem to suggest that socialism is doomed to fail.
Post a Comment