https://x.com/andrewtwalker/status/2096931805391671301?s=51&t=cLq01Oy84YkmYPZ-URIMYw
"This is correct. There is no obsequious devotion to Trump in particular. This thesis reinforces something I have written about at length: Biblical Christianity has structural resonances that code, today, on the political right. That's circumstantial, not permanent. To put it differently, the Bible is simply not a Leftist manifesto by Leftist accounts. Some would dispute that, but if Scripture addresses the nature of morality, moral responsibility, creation order, the scope and limits of government, and a particular account of flourishing, then by sheer circumstances of the current moment, people will vote accordingly where such views concentrate or are at least treated with greater hospitality. Now, that could change over time as labels and parties shift. When a political party more closely aligns with the source of authority that guides a people's moral outlook, it should not be surprising that vote density clusters around that party. If you want to challenge my thesis or wish for a less partisan version of Christianity, the way forward would be for the modern Left to abandon its attack on the most rudimentary principles held dear in biblical Christianity—the good of religion, human dignity, the immutability of the sexes, and the family. If it did, I would expect a more dispersed political makeup. Until the modern Left ceases its attacks on Genesis 1-2, the constant hectoring of evangelicals as slavishly devoted to one party will continue to ring hollow. I do not vote for liberals because I am a conservative first; I do not vote for liberals because I view liberalism as more parasitic to historic, biblical Christianity than the alternative."
https://x.com/ryanburge/status/2096587194747978222
"I can't count the number of times I've been asked, "why did so many white evangelicals vote for Donald Trump?" But I've never been asked, "why did so many white evangelicals vote for Mitt Romney?" The reason is that they vote for Republicans."
2 comments:
"I've never been asked, "why did so many white evangelicals vote for Mitt Romney?" The reason is that they vote for Republicans."
Yes, y'all do. The difference is that in the past if Mitt Romney or one of the other candidates had been so overtly sexually perverted and a sexual predator, and so overtly corrupt and so just plain dumb and arrogant, and ignorant of or not caring about the U.S. and our better ideals, y'all would never have voted for him even if he was a Republican. My parents' generation of Republicans had more moral credibility than that. They recognized that if they voted for someone as instinctively bad and dumb as this president of yours, they would be undermining their credibility and their Christian witness.
The difference then is that the modern MAGA wing of the GOP has demonstrated they don't care about moral character, intelligence, or standing for our better ideals. They just want to get a Republican in there and in some cases at least some of them love that he makes racist, xenophobic, homophobic, and misogynistic attacks against so many people and against the world.
This is much to your collective shame and will be recognized in history as a low moment for the GOP.
Dan
Remember the vile character assassination y'all leveled at Romney? Or Ben Carson? Or every single Bush? Y'all are going to go after every GOP candidate with the same sort of smear tactics, Trump at least fought back.
The difference is that the DFL isn't welcoming to conservative ideals and conservatives make the rational choice to vote for the party which is more welcome to conservative ideals.
Trump has been as friendly to gays as any president in the past 25 years, yet you still smear him with your made up pejorative. I do appreciate the vague, unspecific, unproven, claims, though. They make you look unhinged.
Post a Comment