Wednesday, September 2, 2026

This Doesn't Sound Too Crazy

 https://x.com/myhandleno/status/2094666979999150314?s=51&t=cLq01Oy84YkmYPZ-URIMYw

Just to clear the air: I’m a MAGA conservative, but that doesn’t mean what a lot of you apparently think it does. Let’s break it down, because I’m tired of being told what I believe and what I stand for. Spoiler: not every conservative is the same, but most of us I know share these same principles. 1. I believe America should never depend on another country for energy, protection, or basic supply and demand. We are strongest when we build, produce, and protect things right here in the USA. 2. I believe America must put itself first. We cannot pour from an empty cup. Our country should prioritize our own people before trying to save the world. 3. I believe only legal citizens have the right to vote. You must have a valid ID to vote. I also believe in a secure election process. 4. I believe no foreign aid should be given until every veteran at home is taken care of. 5. I believe immigrants make America stronger — when they come legally. If your first act in this country is breaking the law, you aren’t an upstanding citizen. 6. You can marry who you want. I may not agree with your lifestyle, but your life is not mine to judge, I leave that to God Almighty. That being said, I am a Christian and suggest everyone read and follow God's word. 7. I believe men are men and women are women. Surgery or hormone don’t change that. Men should use men’s bathrooms, and women should use women’s bathrooms. 8. I believe schools are for education, not indoctrination. Kids should learn math, history, reading, and science - not political propaganda. They should not be taught they were “born in the wrong body” or pushed into gender delusion. 9. I believe America is in a mental health crisis. Mental health care is real, it matters, and it desperately needs to be addressed. 10. I believe guns aren’t the problem - people are. Gun control only infringes on constitutional rights. But I also believe in common sense: background checks are necessary to keep firearms out of the hands of the mentally ill. I’m a conservative because I believe in faith, family, freedom, and personal responsibility. I don’t want a government that controls every aspect of our lives - I want a government that protects our rights, secures our borders, defends our freedoms, and then gets out of the way. We are strongest when Americans take care of America first, when families are supported, when our veterans are honored, and when our children are given truth, not propaganda. I love this country, and I believe it’s worth fighting for."

8 comments:

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I also saw this on Facebook, posted by a cousin. And I disagree with #6, No, you cannot marry who you want; marriage has a definition and that doesn't include two people of the same sex. This same-sex mirage has just added another sexually immoral and destructive concept into what used to be a sane culture.

Craig said...

I don't disagree with your premise, but agree with the spirit of the point. I'd be more inclined to have not used "marry", to make this point. Yet, I do agree with the larger point that we as humans have the freedom to engage in behaviors which Scripture condemns and their consequences. While I am happy to discuss the Biblical position on sex and marriage and explain why other arrangements are not optimal, I also don't invest a ton of time caring about the sins of others. If people want to screw their lives up in pursuit of freedom or whatever, I can't stop them. Of course, I'm always ready to be there to help when people realize the futility of their choices.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

It isn't the "sin of others, " rather it is the government behaving unconstitutionally to claim same-sex "mirage" exists and anyone who disagrees get labeled homophobe or bigot.

Craig said...

Again, I don't disagree with the government sanction. My argument has always been to have some form of civil agreement that allows people to have the medical, visitation, and inheritance benefits that go to spouses without being fully equal to marriage.

Again, I think that the point of that bullet stands in that we don't care what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

The first line of the bullet point say: "You can marry who you want."
That has nothing to do with the fact that we don't care what they do in their own home. I boldly states they can "marry" who they want. Sane people cannot agree to that statement.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

By the way, that line also says a Muslim can marry a 9-year-old.

Craig said...

As I noted earlier, I think that the "marry" statement is problematic. Yet, while it is, the rest of the bullet point I have no problem with. If nothing else, the "marry who you want" position leads toward all sorts of arrangements which are obviously out of bounds.

Had I written the list, I'd have phrased it differently. Yet, the overall message of the bullet point seems reasonable.

Craig said...

As noted in the comment above, it clearly encompasses many things that are problematic. That's why I object to that sentence, but not to the larger point being made.