Thursday, June 30, 2022

Twitter isn't all bad

https://twitter.com/ianharber/status/1541787827721179136?s=27&t=5bMvE0pMj7AlSiilXILhmA


When I saw this Tweet, I was drawn in.  I honestly don't know where this guys stands, and I don't even know if I agree with everything in this thread.

What I do agree with is the fact that American Christians tend to believe that we are the center of Christianity in the world, and that our takes on Christianity should prevail across the globe.   I've seen a fair number of instances where Christians in third world countries are ridiculed or belittled for their Christian beliefs.   I've though for quite a while that Christianity thrives in places of need or persecution.  I think that reliance on God becomes much more acute when people are in need.    Every time I see a christian influencer complaining on IG about how they desperately need wine at 3:00 in the afternoon after a brutal day of watching their kids in the backyard pool or at Disney, or whatever, I kind of want to puke.  


Anyway, it's a long thread, it might not all be awesome, but I think that his point is valid.  Maybe our first world problems don't define global Christianity.  


FYI, this is not the place to argue about whether or not Roman Catholics (or The Orthodox) are really Christians.  I know the arguments, I'm sympathetic to some of them, I acknowledge that the RC has issues, but so does every other sect/denomination.   I'm willing to bet that RC's in the third world, don't buy a lot of the BS that others do. 

4 comments:

Marshal Art said...

I've never really thought in terms of "American Christianity", or that we Christians in the United States are representative of world-wide Christianity. Good gosh, given the prog "Christians", I sincerely hope not! Frankly, I can't imagine anyone actually takes that position. Have you thought in such terms? I'm not even sure I understand it.

Craig said...

After spending a little time in Haiti, and a lot of time researching how to address poverty and the like, I've thought about it quite a lot.

At a really basic level, I think it comes down to "Give us this day our daily bread." and how that phrase hits for people in the US, as opposed to people in Africa. American Christianity has, I believe, absorbed a fair amount of American civil religion as ell as the American tendency towards self reliance. I think it's not unusual for Christianity to mingle with culture, but I'm not sure Christianity usually comes out on top. I think that sort of mingling was a big part of what led to the reformation.

Obviously, a wealthy country with a significant Christian population can do all sorts of good things throughout the world, and we've certainly done many. But, wealth can be a trap, and thinking that our efforts are responsible for our success discounts God's work.

If you look at where the big name Christian pastors, authors, etc are It seems like the US is over represented.

Strangely enough, I'd argue that it's both ends of the spectrum that have the issues. If you look at what the progressive christian ONG's are doing they're clearly pushing an American liberal worldview on African's and others.

This is a much longer and more detailed discussion, but I think it's interesting due to our inherent feelings that our society is somehow superior to other societies, and how an overlay of Christianity can affect that worldview.

Craig said...

Art,

One last thought. I agree that the ideal is that our Christianity would supersede our nationality, but even though I'd like to think I live this out, I probably don't. I thin I said this earlier, but I think Christianity is always at it's strongest when society is hostile to Christians or when life is difficult. I think the faith shown by believers who live in peaceful, loving Muslim countries who daily fear persecution or death, looks much stronger than mine. I look at so many Christians/Churches and see that their worldview matches our secular culture almost perfectly. These aren't people (myself included) who are likely to stand up if it's going to really hurt. It's why I don't really buy American Christians who complain about persecution. It may/probably will get worse, but not now.

Marshal Art said...

True oppression...not the kind about which Dan incessantly whines on and on and on...brings to fore all those who won't allow that oppression to stifle their expression of faith. What percentage of the general population under that suffering would step up, or at least, how many would were it not for the first few? We simply don't face that level of threat, but I'd like to think the percentage is probably about the same. We can't know until we are so threatened. I think of that Charleston church after a kind shot the place up, and how they refused to engage in the bullshit BLM response. The tragedy didn't change their tune. I think that's the same type of faith which I hope is more prevalent than our easy living is able to reveal.

I think it would be enough to stand firmly and boldly against the charlatans of progressivism in order to prevent ever having to face in this country, the harsh degree of persecution our Christian family faces in others. Thus, I seek to influence the nation as best I can from my little corner of the world toward a more Christian nation and politics is among the many avenues one can pursue that goal. No need for a theocracy, but laws, policies and cultural changes which move the needle toward God are all good ideas and worthy efforts in my opinion.

As to persecution, I don't think it's wrong to speak of it here...given it certainly and unmistakably exists...but I wouldn't dare try to pretend it's to the same degree as, say, in the typical muslim majority country. We're as frogs in a pan of water at a warm rather than hot temperature. We're still at a "nip it in the bud" stage and we best do that for the sake of the nation. It's worth saving.