Thursday, June 22, 2023

Submarine

There's been a fair amount of coverage of the story about  the missing submarine over the past few days.   While I personally would consider going down in a submarine to be absolute torture, I do understand the desire to see things that most will never see.   

 

What I've noticed on social media is a fair amount of people who are saying something like, "Well it's just a bunch of rich people, they just got what they deserve.".     My first thought is that the people who say stuff like this are simply inhuman without a shred of empathy or decency.     I can't imagine a more horrible way to die.  Being trapped in a tiny space, full of other people, with little or no hope, and the slow inevitable buildup of CO eventually killing them.   Of course, if there was a catastrophic failure of the sub, at least they'd be crushed by the water pressure quickly.    Either way this is a horrible tragedy for those on the sub, and for their families, and having to watch idiots on social media trash them seems to add insult to injury.  

I think that our society has an attitude toward anyone who is "rich", that is severely warped.   Starting with the notion that other people's wealth is simply a resource waiting to be tapped for others to benefit from.   Or the notion that people shouldn't pursue their dreams and have adventures with their own money.   As someone who's claustrophobic, I can't imagine willingly putting myself in a tiny submarine or space capsule.  But I also acknowledge that it would be incredibly cool to go to space, or dive to extreme depths in the ocean.    The fact that these people have the wherewithal (assuming that they were all "rich") to fulfill their dreams of an adventure that few will experience, is something that I "ency".    A family friend dreamed for years of taking an extended trip by boat.   When he retired, he took the necessary training to be qualified to drive the boat, bought a boat, and circumnavigated the eastern half of the US.   Not my dream, but I love the fact that he was able to fulfill his dream.

Ultimately I believe that the social media scolds probably need to shut up.   They need to show some respect for the (likely) dead, and for their families.    These people knew the risks they were taking, and they went anyway.   Taking significant risk in order to fulfill your dreams or goals is something to be admired, not ridiculed.  


UPDATE


We learned yesterday that the US Navy knew that this submarine had imploded several days ago, but for some reason this information wasn't immediately released.    Days of wasted searching, days of leaving the families in limbo, days of hiding the Truth.   Obviously one wonders why the Biden administration chose this path.     The "good" news, is that the passengers were spared a lengthy, horrible death. 

11 comments:

Dan Trabue said...

"While not definitive, this information was
immediately shared
with the Incident Commander to assist with the ongoing search and rescue mission," the first official said. "The decision was made to continue our mission as a search and rescue and make every effort to save the lives on board."

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/23/1183976726/titan-titanic-sub-implosion-navy

[rolls eyes]

Craig said...

Which, if you think about it, makes perfect sense. The decision to continue for a submarine which had been heard imploding for several days is obviously the best choice. We definitely want our government to instill false hope in the families when it is already known what their fate is.

Marshal Art said...

I guess it would be fair to presume they aren't willing to take anything for granted, despite how far-fetched the prospect of successful recovery.

Feodor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Marshal Art said...

That feo....He's hilarious!

Craig said...

Dammit!! How could I have allowed one of the idiot's comments through moderation. Especially one more screed aimed at Stan.

Marshal Art said...

He shotguns them to all of us, I think. He's desperate to be heard because of how highly he regards himself, as if he's even deserving of his own good opinion. He's a clown of clown and a perfect troll of DanWorld.

Craig said...

Art,

I agree that he has a pathetic need to be taken seriously, and childishly keeps pushing himself in our faces. I do think that he believes that we delete and ignore him because of his superior intelligence, he seems to genuinely think that by our ignoring him that he somehow wins something. With a few rare exceptions, I delete his comments the second I see his name attached. I don't read them, or give them a second thought. Occasionally, I will accidentally hit the publish button and his idiocy will be displayed until I realize my mistake.

In short, he's kind of like a dog that desperately wants attention and won't stop trying until he gets it.

Marshal Art said...

Yeah. Every now and then something in his comments catches my eye and compels me to respond. But to do so only makes him think I care to engage with him. Over at Dan's, Dan referred to one of his comments as "magnificent" and I had to read it because Dan's comment was aimed in my direction. It was stupid because that's what those frauds present so routinely.

Anyway, we've wasted enough keystrokes on him. I'm done.

Craig said...

There is an anonymous comment in moderation that I suspect is from either idiot #1 trying to get his comment posted, or it's from idiot #2 trying to defend idiot #1.

In either case, idiot #1 is not in any way an equivalent to Jesus.

Craig said...

As I re read the anonymous comment, it seems pretty cleat that is idiot #1 based on the language. Therefore it has left the building for the digital trash can it deserves.