Saturday, December 8, 2018

Movie Review, sort of.

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night and really enjoyed it.  Queen is a band that I casually listened to earlier in life, but have grown to appreciate more as I've gotten older. 

What struck me the most was watching this guy who had "everything", loving family, loving wife, talent, friends, success, literally all the things society says make us successful and happy.   Yet, he was so lonely and sad.  Watching him try to fill that hole with sex, drugs, alcohol, control, "friends" (really hangers on), while ignoring and mistreating those who cared about him really saddened me.

I honestly can't imagine the level of loneliness that would drive someone into such self destructive behavior, yet I know that one of my kids faces similar struggles, and it just breaks my heart to think about how difficult it is.

The last few years have been pretty crappy in my life, but I am constantly thankful for my family, my friends, my co workers, and my faith.  I'm especially thankful for the miracles I've seen and for seeing God show up in tangible ways.   I'm thankful that I don't struggle with the kind of loneliness and sadness that Freddie Mercury suffered, or the depression and anxiety that my son suffers from, yet it it tears me up to watch the destruction that those things bring to others.

I just need to keep praying that God will comfort those people who are lonely, sad, depressed, and anxious, and that I'll be sensitive enough to say and do the right things when I encounter people like that in my life.

Back to the movie.  I was surprised at how emotionally I reacted to seeing Freddie Mercury humble himself, mend his relationships with family, friends, and band mates in the aftermath of being diagnosed with AIDS.  While it's a shame that it sometimes takes something tragic to remind us of what's important, but I appreciate the restoration that they experienced.

I'm probably over analyzing this movie, but so what.  It's my blog and if I want to get overly sentimental, I  think I can.


2 comments:

Marshal Art said...

Of course you can.

I'm a big fan of that band, but I don't know if I'm going to see the movie. Likely will watch it when it comes to cable.

Prayers for your son. Hope he finds peace in this life.

Craig said...

My advice, it’s probably better on the big screen.

Thanks, he’s doing pretty well at this point. That’s all we can ask is one day at a time.