Friday, August 28, 2020

Stuff that's too long to excerpt, and an interesting quote

https://www.challies.com/articles/when-solomons-fool-created-a-social-media-platform/

 https://founders.org/2020/08/27/if-silence-is-violence-jesus-is-a-sinner/


"The greatest judgement which God Himself can, in this present life, inflict upon a man is to leave him in the hands of his own boasted 'free'-will"

Augustus Toplady


I think that you can substitute "reason", "self worth" and other modern catch phrases for "free-will' and it would still be pretty accurate.

1 comment:

Marshal Art said...

In order of appearance:

1. I didn't feel the need to review every point on his list. The main point was clear from the first few. It's easy to fall prey to the many trappings described. However, after reading those first few, it occurred to me what a great guide this list can be for those who wish to make points in hopes of influencing the culture toward a better way. "Am I responding to insults with insults?" Time to make adjustments to my style of discourse and get back to the intention. I believe I don't get too carried away with most of the pitfalls, even if I do stray toward those dangers. I'm human after all. But social media can be a force for good if we keep in mind the points made in this piece and use them to keep us on track.

2. I like the Sey piece. Given what I'd say instead of remaining silent (I never really remain silent), I think these activists would prefer I not speak. I oppose them whole-heartedly and find their position to be totally without merit.

3. I think your alternatives are far worse than mere free will. Thus, far more accurate.