Friday, April 19, 2024

Women Are Stupid...

 No, not really, that's just hyperbole to get people wound up.  Of course women, in general, are not stupid.  Obviously some women are stupid, just like some men are stupid.    Or, maybe, it's just that a significant number of women are gullible, or uncritical, or committed to a false narrative, or liberal.

Over the past week or so, I've seen large numbers of women repeating some form of outrage over the fact that Caitlin Clark is making less as a professional basketball player than Victor Wembenyama.   The ignorance about how business works from most of these people is astounding.   The sincere belief that the money to pay WNBA players somehow magically appears out of nowhere, and is unrelated to any other factors is shocking.    This notion that because Clark had an amazing college career that she should automatically be exempt from the WNBA CBA is ridiculous.   The bizarre commitment to the fact that sports leagues shouldn't be accountable to basic economics is beyond belief.

Before I go much further, I think that it's awesome that women's BB has gotten this boost in popularity from Reese, Clark, Buekers, and the rest over the last couple of years.  I sincerely hope that all of this interest in them follows them to the WNBA and inspires people to buy tickets, watch on TV, buy merch, and all of the other things that drive revenue.   Before Clark as played one professional game, ticket prices for Indiana games are already highly sought after in the cities they play away games in.  This is a good thing.   It'll be great if Clark and Reese continue their college rivalry into the WNBA, it could be the Bird/Magic rivalry that drove the NBA to bigger popularity.   All of these things will drive WNBA salaries up, not wishes and unreasonable demands.  

The reality is that the WNBA is a subsidiary of the NBA and that the NBA subsidizes the WNBA virtually every year.   The expectation that a business that has never made money, and is subsidized by a business that is profitable should spend extravagantly goes against every business principle I am aware of.  But let's look at some numbers.

NBA revenue- $10 billion

WNBA revenue- $60 million

NBA ticket price- $94

WNBA ticket price- $47

NBA average attendance- 17,184

WMNB attendance- 5679

NBA number of games- 1230 regular season, 105 playoff (maximum)

WNBA number of games- 204 regular season, 35 playoffs (maximum)


https://www.wsn.com/nba/nba-vs-wnba/


I could go on, but the reality is that the WNBA simply can't compete with the NBA in terms of revenue, and therefore can't pay it's players what people think they should.   Let's also remember that the WNBA has only been around for 28 years, as opposed to the NBA's 78.  It seems like it'd make some sense to compare WNBA salaries to NBA salaries in 1974 to make a more accurate comparison.   

The reality is that this is truly an apples/oranges comparison, and the reality is that the WNBA is probably in better shape to grow than the NBA in 1974.  If for no other reason the larger pool of avenues for media exposure.

The other reality is that Clark isn't going to starve.  She's been making huge money for the last couple of years as a college player, and will make more as a pro.  It's looking like a $10,000,000 deal with Nike might help her out some as well.   (As will the free car and housing she gets as part of her deal)

Two final thoughts.  

1.  WNBA salaries are set by the WNBA CBA.   In other words the WNBA players collectively bargained for the current salary structure and are contractually bound to it, until it's renegotiated.  

2.  Clark is an amazing basketball player, one of the best women ever.   Yet there is absolutely zero chance that she could play in the NBA or regularly beat NBA players 1 on 1.  It's simply stupid to suggest this.   The Williams sisters (arguably the best players in women's tennis) lost to a male tennis pro who was ranked lower that the 200th best in the world.   The US women's soccer team lost to a HS boy's team.  

Stop letting commitment to a narrative drive your view of reality.

Start spending money on the WNBA.

Biology pretty much always wins.

3 comments:

Marshal Art said...

I tried to get into the WNBA (not as a player, though it should be easier now, right?), but just couldn't do it. I just didn't find them as compelling as the NBA. Mostly, I just looked for babes, because watching babes do most anything is more compelling than watching women compete athletically in general. Women's gymnastics and figure skating are more compelling to me than the WNBA. There was a professional Chicago women's baseball team (I believe it was softball) who, when I first became aware of it, had a smoking hot pitcher. At the time, I never sought out the team schedule and televised games weren't routine.

I don't watch college sports at all. I don't have the time to add it to my sports watching schedule. These days, the only pro-sports I watch are Chicago teams, and that's mostly the Bulls and the Bears. I like watching baseball, but as there are so many games per season, and I watch either Chicago team hoping for a cross-town World Series before I die, I don't need to see every game. Overall, my sports viewing easily muscles out responsibilities if I let it. So I don't.

With that said, I'm unlikely to become a fan of any women's sports league, regardless of whether or not it is a Chicago team. I went to a couple of high school girl's basketball games when my daughters were in school. None of the played, but for one reason or another, we attended. I rooted for the home team, but didn't follow their season at all otherwise. My second oldest was a star volleyball player and I attended many of those games because it's my daughter. One of her daughters is an avid soccer and basketball player and at ten years old, kicks some serious ass. Her other daughter was into jiu jitsu for a time, and I watched her compete, too.

That's how I roll with women's sports. They are unlikely to develop the following men's sports has, and that's too bad for the women. I saw what Caitlyn Clark is going to make as a pro, and I'd be happy to play a game for less than a full year for that kind of scratch.

Craig said...

"I tried to get into the WNBA (not as a player, though it should be easier now, right?), but just couldn't do it."

You should absolutely try out now, I'm guessing it'd be a nice retirement gig to supplement your income, right?


"I just didn't find them as compelling as the NBA. Mostly, I just looked for babes, because watching babes do most anything is more compelling than watching women compete athletically in general. Women's gymnastics and figure skating are more compelling to me than the WNBA. There was a professional Chicago women's baseball team (I believe it was softball) who, when I first became aware of it, had a smoking hot pitcher. At the time, I never sought out the team schedule and televised games weren't routine."

I'm not a fan of professional basketball either way. I casually follow the Wolves when they're good, but have never been to or watched an entire game. I prefer college BB, although less and less every year. I've watched women's HS ball because my kid was the mascot, and our team was excellent. Paige Buekers was amazing in HS, and still is. I watched some of this years NCAA women's games, but in a more passive way. The women's NCAAs were actually more compelling that the men's this year because of the rivalries/feuds. If I get the chance I'd go to check out the KC women's soccer team and their new stadium, but that'd probably be a one shot deal. I'd also consider getting tix to see Clark play here once if finances permit. As far as the rest, I'll watch Olympic skiing/snow sports because I kike those things without regard to men's/women's. But it's definitely more casual at this point.

"I don't watch college sports at all. I don't have the time to add it to my sports watching schedule. These days, the only pro-sports I watch are Chicago teams, and that's mostly the Bulls and the Bears. I like watching baseball, but as there are so many games per season, and I watch either Chicago team hoping for a cross-town World Series before I die, I don't need to see every game. Overall, my sports viewing easily muscles out responsibilities if I let it. So I don't."

I also focus my sports watching on the teams I'm invested in as a fan. I agree baseball has too many games.

Craig said...

"With that said, I'm unlikely to become a fan of any women's sports league, regardless of whether or not it is a Chicago team. I went to a couple of high school girl's basketball games when my daughters were in school. None of the played, but for one reason or another, we attended. I rooted for the home team, but didn't follow their season at all otherwise. My second oldest was a star volleyball player and I attended many of those games because it's my daughter. One of her daughters is an avid soccer and basketball player and at ten years old, kicks some serious ass. Her other daughter was into jiu jitsu for a time, and I watched her compete, too."

Likewise, I'm not either. Seeing Buekers playing for the Lynx might provoke some interest, but that's about it. As I get older, I find sports with good story more interesting and worthy of my time. The Clark/Reese thing was good theater, regardless of who won. Obviously, if my grand kids play, I'll watch them no matter what. Except Nordic, I won't do Nordic again.

"That's how I roll with women's sports. They are unlikely to develop the following men's sports has, and that's too bad for the women. I saw what Caitlyn Clark is going to make as a pro, and I'd be happy to play a game for less than a full year for that kind of scratch."

I agree that she'll be well compensated, and already has been for playing basketball.

In s somewhat detached way, I hope that this new group of college rivals can bring some of that rivalry and passion to the WNBA and draw fans to the league. I'd like to see them succeed, and build the league to the point of crazy money, but the folks who are bitching now just expect that the WNBA can defy economics and make money magically appear. Strangely enough, many of the same folks who are bitching about Clark's salary are also in support of dudes playing women's sports. The reality is that these people need to put their money where their mouths are and get out and support these players and teams if they really care about how much they make.

Mostly it's people who are so committed to a narrative, that they have no sense of reality.